Monday, June 1, 2020

The Loneliest Night





The Loneliest Night
By Charles H. Perkins
For Him, it was loneliest night in the history of the world. At the last supper that He would share with the 12 men who followed Him.  He was betrayed by one—Judas. Later that night, when He was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane, all of His followers abandoned Him.  He was alone. As the guards were taking Him to the courtyard of the Temple to be accused and tried, Peter, one of His disciples, followed Him at a distance. One other disciple who knew one of the guards also came and managed to get Peter inside of the gate.  When asked if he was a disciple, Peter denied Him three times adding to the loneliness.  The other disciple apparently faded into the background. All He heard from the crowd was the shout of “Crucify Him!!!” He was alone. He was beaten, flogged, slapped, spit on, beard ripped out. While being forced to carry His own cross for His crucifixion, He fell and was helped for a while by Simon the Cyrenian. And then, again, alone as they nailed Him to the cross.  As He was dying on the cross, He took on the sins of the world, yours and mine. His loneliest moment came when, for a moment, He was separated from The Father and cried out, “My God! My God! Why have You forsaken Me?”  More alone than anyone in the history of human kind, He died on the cross.  Yes, He died alone on that cross so that you and I could spend eternity with Him. Thank You, Jesus, my Lord and my God.
Would you like to experience God’s presence and forgiveness by inviting God’s Son, Jesus Christ, into your heart? Then pray this prayer: Dear God, I believe that Jesus Christ is Your Son. I confess that I am a sinner in need of a Savior. I believe that Jesus died on the cross, shed His blood, and rose from the dead for my salvation. I confess Him right now as my Savior and Lord. Now, Heavenly Father, fill me with Your Holy Spirit so that I can live a life that pleases You. In Jesus’ name! Amen! If you prayed this prayer and meant it, you are saved. Welcome to God’s Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment