Monday, January 21, 2019

HOW DO WE HONOR AND GLORIFY GOD?


BARBARA E. PERKINS

There are many ways to show that we are honoring God and bringing glory to His name.  A most significant way is evident in John 14:23-24 (NKJV) where Jesus exhorted us, 23 “Jesus answered and said to him, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.’”  We cannot deny from these Scriptures just how important it is for us to honor and bring glory to God and His Son, Jesus, by showing our sincere love for them, as well as God’s word.  Jesus said, if we obey God’s word, He and His Father (God) would love us and come live inside us.    A Powerful declaration!  In 1 Timothy 1:5, Timothy summarizes the Scriptures in this way, “Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith.”  Isaiah, the prophet, reflects on this theme.  In Isaiah 43:7, God’s word says, “Everyone who is called by My name, WHOM I HAVE CREATED FOR MY GLORY; I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”  God created us so that our lives would bring Him glory and honor.  We are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works (Ephesians 2:10).  He did not create us to do our own thing, separate from Him.  God’s word in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says it this way, 19 “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”  Jesus glorified God with His sacrifice on the cross for our sins, a price that we could not pay (John 17:4). God sent His Holy Spirit to dwell in us so that we can live a life pleasing to Him and as a result, we have all that we need to bring Him honor and glory.  We can see from God’s word how to honor and glorify Him and it is throughout the Bible.  We honor and glorify Him with a sincere heart of love, being obedient to His word, which includes our lifestyles.

Would you like to be saved and develop a relationship with God as your Heavenly Father?  If you would, just invite His Son, Jesus Christ, into your heart.  Please pray this prayer:  Dear God, I believe in my heart that Jesus Christ is Your Son.  I believe that He died on the cross, shed His blood, and rose from the grave for my salvation.  I confess Jesus right now as my Savior and Lord.  God fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I can live a life that pleases You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!  If you prayed this prayer and meant it, based on Roman 10:9-10, you are saved.  Welcome into God’s Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment