Monday, October 1, 2018

IN HIS IMAGE


CHARLES H. PERKINS

IN HIS IMAGE

(Romans 8:29) “For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son…”
For most of my life as a Christian I have heard people of different races and ethnic groups claim that Jesus looked the way they look.  White people, Black people, you name it, they all claim that Jesus was of their particular race. For the record, the Bible says that He came to earth as a Jew.  Also, the Bible does not say that He would be conformed to our image, but, that we should be conformed to His. 
Most sermons that I have heard over the years generally lead people to want to do the works that He did when they think of being conformed to the image of Christ.  They want the “power” and “authority”; they want the “anointing”; they want to lay hands on people and heal the sick; they want to prophesy and so on.  They use John 14:12 to justify their desire for doing powerful works: John 14:12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and GREATER WORKS than these he will do, because I go to My Father.” This, along with the racial identify stuff, seems to be what most people mean by being in the image of Christ. They can do what He did and more. They want Jesus to look like them and they want to do great works. 
We are called to look like Jesus.  That call has nothing to do with race.  It does not stop at doing “great works.” If we really want to look like the image of Christ we should love as He loved; show the compassion He showed; walk in humility as He walked; forgive as He forgave; bring peace as He did; show grace and mercy as He did; hate sin as He did; live lives of holiness and righteousness as He did; honor our Heavenly Father as He did. Looking like Jesus has nothing to do with our physical make up. It has everything to do with the content of our character.  Lord, let us all truly seek to be conformed into the image of Christ.

Would you like to experience God’s presence and forgiveness by inviting God’s Son, Jesus Christ, into your heart? Then pray this prayer: Dear God, I believe that Jesus Christ is Your Son. I confess that I am a sinner in need of a Savior. I believe that Jesus died on the cross, shed His blood, and rose from the grave for my salvation. I confess Him right now as my Savior and Lord. God fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I can live a life that pleases You. In Jesus’ Name! Amen! If you prayed this prayer you are saved. Welcome to God’s Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment